Friday, February 11, 2011

Be the Change

First of all, I am so sorry for the massive gap it has been between this blog post and my last one! My life has been chaotic, to say the least, what with my computer not functioning to the point that it no longer turns on to work becoming increasingly busy to my mom visiting me for a good portion of February.

When I first came to Beverley I thought I had entered a utopia, a "Pleasantville" in most respects. Here lies a quiet quaint village where, after living and working in one of "the worst neighborhoods in Denver, Colorado" even the poor seemed to have enough here due to the UK's incredible welfare system. Yet the more time I spend here, the clearer my vision becomes. The ideal of pure contentment here has vanished, people seek more things materially and still are overwhelmed with dissatisfaction per say.

A lady I know here told me that her job bores her. It no longer challenges her, and she's alone for the majority of her time at work. She dreads retirement, as the primary thing awaiting her is tea and cake at parlors, cleaning the house, and, most daunting for her, becoming a full-time carer, leaving this incredibly driven, goal oriented woman feeling like she has little purpose as a housewife. Yet in spite of her lack of enthusiasm for her job, she refuses to search for another, for, in her own words, she's done her work too long, is too comfortable, and change seems to be too much. Comfortable, yet broken. Hurting. Someone I have seen as the "perfect" woman, as she always has her life held together and in the perfect order regardless of what transpires, suddenly became not so "perfect".

The chorus of one of my favorite songs by Brandon Heath says:

"Give me your eyes for just one second,
Give me your eyes so I can see.
Everything that we keep missing,
Give me your love for humanity.

Give me your arms for the brokenhearted
The ones that are far beyond my reach
Give me your heart for the ones forgotten
Give me your eyes so I can see."

For just one second, because our weak human nature could endure little more. But in that brief second, what would we see? The brokenness buried behind a smile, the perfection that is really unbearable torture, the emptiness, loneliness, dissatisfaction with life, fear, envy, hate, dishonesty, suffering, the needs. In a flash, our perception of every person we saw in that moment would be radically transformed, and we would know them for what they are: Human. Broken. It's everywhere. Lurking around each bend in the road. We can see it if we take the time to search someones eyes, their disposition, their nonverbal communication. It says it all if we only take the time to question and pay attention.

Yet there is beauty in the brokenness. A hand reaches out to help, someone does something kind, love is revealed through a friend, an acquaintance, a complete stranger. Healing amidst the anguish. How many people are hurting that we don't know about? It could be anyone, even our closest friend. What kind of an impact can I have by setting aside my selfishness and my busy life and actually pay attention, reading between the lines, watching actions and body language? How different could I make the world?

Ghandi said to be the change you wish to see in the world. Now, when first read that sounds like a phrase someone could quickly breeze over and say, oh, well that's a nice idea. But when dwelt on, allowing the concept to sink in, there is so much power in those few words. With that sentence comes great responsibility that can have a huge impact if we all partake in our share. Be the change.

At St. Nicholas Church we had a Lent service tonight that focused on working out the kinks you have in your life, purifying yourself, being transformed by Christ, starting over, and yes, it was even about brokenness. One of the Bible verses we read came from Isaiah 58:6-7, which says, "Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter-when you see the naked, to clothe him, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?" We often ask why there is so much suffering in the world, why there is starvation, why there are so many needs. A great amount of the answer to those questions lies primarily in our own hands and in these Bible verses. Be the change. Out of all the verses I read tonight these from Isaiah stood out to me in particular. We should walk with these people, not in front of them, not behind them, but aside them, accompanying them in their journey. We should help those who are broken, those who are struggling, whether they are rich or poor, for as brothers and sisters in Christ, this is what we are called to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment