Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas in England

Spending Christmas thousands of miles away from my family is going to be, and has been thus far, a very different experience for me. I've been able to try so many new things, and I've experienced the generosity and kindness of people in my new community. Daily, for over the past month, I have been asked what my plans are for Christmas, being so far from home. Thus far, everyone who has asked me this question has told me that they want to ensure I have somewhere to go, someone to spend it with, and if I had no one their house is always open.

But Christmas is just around the corner now and don't worry. I have plans. But before Christmas comes, there is much to do. In England people have been preparing for Christmas for months! Other than shopping for presents, attending "turning on the lights" ceremonies throughout town, and decorating the house and Christmas tree, people have been baking for months in anticipation of Christmas dinner. In fact, some people even started immediately after Christmas last year.

So then, what does Christmas in England look like? This Christmas, as most of you may know from the news, we have snow! Apparently it's the most snow people have had in England for the past 20 years, and it's by far one of the coldest winters. In spite of this, people are still in high spirits and Christmas traditions are still carried out, and here's a few that I've participated in:

Christmas pudding, also known as figgy pudding to us in the States, is typically made months in advance, sometimes even made a year in advance. Rumor has it that the longer it sits, the better it tastes, and the amount of brandy that is added to it ensures that this tasty treat doesn't go bad after sitting for a long period of time. And yes, this pudding (which is more like a fruit cake) is actually lit on fire just before it is consumed! I still haven't quite figured out why...and no one that I've asked seems to know.

More Christmas traditions include making and eating Christmas cake and mince pies, drinking mulled wine, having numerous Christmas dinners with friends well before Christmas actually arrives, making Christingles, going to see pantomimes, and breaking open Christmas crackers (which to my shock and bewilderment actually isn't something you eat, but instead is a cardboard tube wrapped in brightly colored paper. Why they call it a cracker is beyond me.).

Although I've thoroughly enjoyed partaking in these various activities to become "as British as possible" this Christmas season, I'm can't stop thinking about the amount of time and preparation that goes in to this one event, this single day that is over and gone so quickly. So much time, so much money, so much effort for just one day. I keep thinking about all the people that anticipate the fuzzy feelings, the warmth, the excitement of Christmas. And I also think about those who are alone, those who have no friends or family to be with, those who don't have food to eat, and those who will be excited if they get to sleep in a bed for the night.

I'm sure you've discussed this at least once already this season with someone (I know I have), but Christmas is not about the food, it's not about the amount or what kind of presents you get, or the disappointment you face when you open something you really don't like that your great-aunt's second cousin twice removed who can't even remember your name bought for you. So what is it really about? There's a tradition in Poland where on Christmas day everyone sets out an extra place at their dinner table just in case they see someone on the streets, someone who is alone, someone who is in need, they will be prepared and have room to invite them in for feasting and fellowship.

Now I've been invited to go to various houses, and for this I am truly blessed and eternally grateful. So then, where am I spending Christmas? With my new family, here in England. Yet there are so many people in this world who are less fortunate than I am and aren't adopted into families as quickly as I have been. What would it take to embrace the Polish tradition and invite someone to my Christmas dinner? I live just outside of a city that is full of poverty and despair. Even in this quaint town of Beverley there are homeless people, lonely people, people who are suffering, and people who do not have enough. It wouldn't be that difficult for me to find someone to invite to my house for fellowship and a warm meal. And let's face it, all I would really be sacrificing would most likely be that extra serving of stuffing that I probably don't need anyways.

So instead of focusing on what Christmas isn't, why not focus on what it is about, and then do something about it? To me, Christmas is about love. It's about sharing and being with other people regardless of who they are. It's about showing others how important they are. And above all, it's about Jesus and who He was as a person. A leader. A servant. Someone who cared about those who are less fortunate and often forgotten. The Messiah.

No comments:

Post a Comment